Friday, June 29, 2007

Yes, the Creek Is Up

17 days and counting.

It has been raining for 17 days today. Everyday. Just the other day I was commenting, to anyone willing to listen, that having lived here my entire life I could not remember this many days of rain in one spring. It rained the week before the wedding. It rained the week of the wedding. In fact the day before, and the day of the wedding, the rain was absolutely torrential. Monsoonish. Rain may roll off a duck's back, but the ducks were having a hard time keeping up with it. I mean, this was a real test of a duck's dri-back feathering system. Anyway, it's been raining ever since. And just days after I made that comment it was reported that we have broken a 100 year old record of number of consecutive days of rain. Amazing.

Last weekend the report was that it would stop by Saturday and turn hot. Hello summertime! But the next day? Rain. And the report was that it would probably rain off and on until mid-week. And the report now? Well one station said that July 4th will be hot and dry, and the other two said get out your waders. So far today its rained pretty steady, heavy rain, light rain, mist, repeat. Of course the creek is up and has been for several weeks now. But it is much more likely to overflow in the last few days. We had some trouble driving home the other day due to water on the roads.

Today was my day to lead the devotional at work. I said that I had given thought to reading about the flood, but since we still had 20 days of rain to go before we needed to worry I decided to read something else. All this water though, it sure makes me appreciate the power that God has. It's silly to compare this little bit of water to the Biblical flood, but it's still very impressive to me. Which would bring us to God's promise of course, I've seen a reminder or two lately of that promise. Richard and I saw the other day what I consider to be the most impressive rainbow I have ever seen. It was so low to the ground it looked like a halo on the earth. It was very compact, and the colors were brilliant. And if I was to describe a normal rainbow as "hollow", I would say that this one was full. As in, the purple on the bottom was so bright that it made it look like half of a ball rather than an arch. The picture just does not do it justice, but I didn't have the right filter attached to get the color.

My daughter called a little while ago. She said the creek was running pretty high today. She was out splashing around some and she said she heard a loud crack and a large tree near her just fell over. I don't know which one fell yet, but if it was by the creek it probably lost enough dirt from the water washing it away that it just couldn't stand anymore. Amazing what a little water can do. I'm hearing a lot of thunder right now, so I stepped out of my office to look out the window. It's raining, visibility is about 50 yards I'd say, and I just saw a duck go by with an umbrella and a pained look on his beak. I wonder if Lowe's is having a sale on gopher wood........




Stay dry,

Craig

PS. If it rains until the 4th that'll be 22 days and counting. Amazing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And look how gree everything is.
How is the mowing?
Is it every dry enought to mow.
You may have to bail it.

We have been so long without rain.
I think we are reversed.

Love you,
Jackie

Laura said...

is that the creek?
I don't even recognize it.

Craig said...

Yes, that is the creek. It's hardly had any water in it for years until this spring and now you can see and hear it from the house. It's up and flowing across the yard again this morning from another big rain storm last night. Water, water everywhere.....

Verse of the Day