Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Mystery Gifts Revisited

I guess the memory is the first thing to go.......

I was certain that it was Jackie that had started our mystery gift tradition, as reported in the prior post. However, she has informed me that she didn't. It was in fact my sister-in-law Terre that started the tradition. The gift that started it all was the homemade cocoa mix that had been in the family for years and Jackie won the gift that year. I guess that's what got stuck in my head. It's a great tradition, and a great way to remember Terre, which I will from now on. It's a great shame that she wasn't with us this year for the extra mystery gift. I think she would have really enjoyed it. She did love to laugh, was very quick witted, always fun to be around.

Her feet were very sensitive. Probably sounds strange to you, but it's true. VERY sensitive. I stayed with them, she and my brother, for a couple of weeks years ago when they were living in Tulsa. I was maybe 12 years old or so. We played games and passed the time while Richard was at work, and occasionally I would reach out and tickle a foot. She did warn me. Yes, very sternly, "Do not tickle my feet again!" The consequence would be a pitcher of tea poured out over my head if I did it again.

Did I mention that I was 12?

Who would pour a pitcher of tea out in her own home?

No way, right?

Wrong.

Tickle, I warned you, pour. Laughter................lots of laughter. And guess who cleaned up the mess.

I was 37 years old when she passed away. Over the 25 years in between the "tea incident" and then, I'll bet she told that story a hundred times. I miss her laughter and a lot of other things about her. I'm a little sorry that I miss-remembered the mystery gift history, but I'm not sorry at all that my mistake gave me time and opportunity to think of and remember an old friend. What a great tradition we have because of her. This one's for you Richard, I know I got this memory right.

Love you,

Craig

No comments:

Verse of the Day