Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Get off the phone!

Fortunately there was no traffic in the oncoming lanes so I was able to react and move over to avoid hitting her. She was concentrating intently on not hitting the vehicle in front of her (stopped), and so it likely would have been a bit of a surprise if I had indeed run into the rear of her vehicle which had just slid sideways into my lane in front of me. When I got up this morning it was not snowing and there was nothing on the ground. By the time I was out of the shower the ground was covered. By the time I got kids to school the roads were quite treacherous in places. This was in between schools that this happened. I had dropped Jack off at the high school and was driving to the middle school to make the other drop. I noticed unusual movement in traffic to my right and looked and saw this car sliding sideways into my lane. I made the correction around her to the left, oncoming traffic was clear (I checked) and missed her. As I drove by I glanced over at her but I couldn't see her face. It was obscured by her left hand holding up her cell phone.

OK, talking on the cell phone while driving? I'm guilty of that and I know it's not the smartest thing to do, but talking on the cell phone while driving, on dangerous slick roads, in heavy start and stop traffic, just may be the height of stupidity.

Well, that's my rant for today. Drive safe out there Edmondites. And stay off the phone while you do it!!

C

No comments:

Verse of the Day