Sunday, November 11, 2007

Absence and Fond Hearts, Part 2........

January 30, 1929 - November 11, 2003

Jack Dodgen

"You can't choose your family"

It's a quote usually used in jokes about dysfunctional families. In my case it's a blessing. I could not have chosen for myself anyone better than the father I was blessed by God to have. I was told not long ago by a friend, "You remind me of your father". It's the best compliment that I could hope to receive. I only hope that someday I can be the same kind of man to my boys that he was to me. He was my hero and I greatly miss him.

I don't have any more words to say, but I'll happily read your comments if you have them and you are willing to share them.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is interesting, great laughs, but also gut wrenching moments. I went back and read the mystery supper blog and laughed until I cried, and then this one again, and just plain cried. They both represent what you have gone through. I was not fortunate to know your father, but I know the son now, very well, and your dad would have been proud of you. The test of a man cannot be when things are going well, but must be measured when times of trial arise. Unfortunately Craig, they have for you, and you have come through them a stronger man. I love that you keep the memory of your parents alive for your children, but also for the rest of us who may not have known them. I know this has been a tough year of anniversaries for you, but stay strong, keep the faith. I cannot walk your way for you, but I can certainly petition God that he surround you and your family with his love. Thanks for your openess in your blog.
KC

Chara said...

The last time I saw Papa was at my wedding. There is a picture in my album of me and Josh and Granny and Papa. When we took the picture Papa reached behind my back and held my hand.
He was not a man given to a great deal of sentimentality (until he got older, I guess) but he was always tender and funny. Every time I look at that picture I think of how much he loved me, and how little it needed to be said.

mtnman said...

I did not know him well or for very long, but I think he may be the most masculine and godly man that I have met. A true cowboy for Jesus, if there's such a thing. I am blessed to have known him for at least a little while.

Verse of the Day