Friday, October 19, 2007

11th Place Isn't Bad at All

Not when you haven't ever run on a team before. But Jeff improved from having never run to finishing in 11th position in his last meet this year. He was close to running in the district race the next week, but not quite, maybe he'll do that next year.
They started out back behind the school, about 10 different schools were there.
I saw Jeff in the middle of the pack and he saw me too and started to angle over towards me.
He looked right at me for that first 100 yards while he ran to the edge of the path in front of me.
Then he broke out in a crazy, ain't I somethin' grin as he passed by that I almost missed completely with the camera.
The next time I saw him was over a mile later and he wasn't quite as grinny as he was at the first pass.
But at the end, what was left of him was hustling towards the finish line in position for a medal.
Tired but well rewarded for his efforts, he got home in 11th place. Pretty cool. Deer Creek won the meet and finished with 6 runners in the top eleven in this race. Jeff learned what it means to be on a team and made some new friends. He had a couple of days off and then basketball practice started last week.
Go Antlers!

No comments:

Verse of the Day