Thursday, April 5, 2007

A Mystery Wrapped in an Enigma

When it comes to mystery gifts or mystery dinners I'll take my chances with the gift every time thank you. We had a party thrown for us (Tandy and I) by the Search office for our wedding. It was Kerry's doing and he is very inventive. Maybe I'll get him to share some of his ideas at holiday time someday. Anyway, he put together a mystery dinner for us. I guess it's not a new concept, but it was sure new to me. Basically, it's a good meal gone all wrong. You may enjoy a meal with a salad, sandwich, and dessert, but if the same meal is served: salad with caramel topping, ice cream with italian dressing or mustard, powdered drinks with no liquid and no plate or utensils to eat with, you might rethink the enjoyment of that meal. We ate at the "Better than Road-Kill cafe." Uh-huh, that's debatable. We ordered from a special menu a 3 course dinner. The menu consisted of words, some sensical and some not, based on the phrase supercalifragilisticexpialidocious even though the sound of it is something quite atrocious.......etc. The idea was too order items for each of 3 courses to be served one at a time and that course had to be eaten before the next could be served. The first course was 6 items, then 10 items, then 6 again. For my first course I ordered and received:
1 The --Chocolate Ice Cream
2 Sound --Whipped Cream
3 Is --Water (no cup)
4 Even --Spoon
5 Super --Dill Pickle
6 Enough --Chocolate Sauce

Second course:
1 I --Chicken
2 Ex --Salad Lettuce
3 It --Bread
4 If --Caramel Sauce
5 You'll --Swiss Cheese Slice
6 Sing --Tea Drink Packet (powdered)
7 Of --Salad Cheese
8 Quite --Mustard
9 Precocious --Tomato
10 Pi --Plate

Third course:
1 Something --Vanilla Ice Cream
2 Long --Chopped Nuts
3 Always --Sandwich Lettuce
4 Frag --Roast Beef
5 Ali --Fork
6 Fragil --Brownie

I got cute with the words and tried to make some phrases with them. I did alright starting out, I was fortunate to get a spoon to eat the ice cream with and had to drink my water from a bowl. I don't however, recommend dill pickles and ice cream together. (I had a little dill pickle juice in my chocolate ice cream)

The second course was ok too. I made a pretty decent sandwich, but it was really dry and I had nothing to drink except dry powdered tea. First I tried a big swallow of the powder and honestly that was just a stupid idea. So I mixed the rest of the tea mix with the caramel sauce and took big swallows without trying to taste it. A spoonful of sugar and all that you know. It actually went down pretty easily. Easier than trying to dry swallow a tea packet. Anyway, I was a little nervous about round three but it came out alright too. I was really one of the lucky ones. There were some terrible combinations that came to the table. Many things were tried to help get the food to go down. Donna had a fruit drink packet and no water, so she used the pickle (moisture) to help. It wasn't a good idea. Great picture though. Kendal really seemed to enjoy Donna's discomfort.








Tandy mixed her fruit drink with Italian dressing I think. She said it wasn't all that yummy.









Mack tried the dry swallow technique on his packet of lemonade, the result was his perfection of the "old-man pucker." Aaaah, Kerry's Better than Road-Kill Cafe. On a scale of 1 - 10 stars, 1 being twinkle, twinkle little star and 10 being a supernova I give it a rating of.......

0 - A Black Hole.

The gift card from the staff was nice though. Well, I'm off to have a snack. I think I'll have Something Isticexpi Precocious. That's Vanilla Ice Cream with Tomato and Baked Beans.

Craig

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe that laughter that I just had reading your blog was Supercalifragilisticexpialidoshas.
The picture is not that good, but the replay of the night was great. And all this time I thought T.V. people were ones that A. could not do anything else and B. only had to point and shoot. Wow, good news, they really are creative, not very productive, but creative. Now all kidding aside, take down the picture before I have to call a lawyer.

Verse of the Day