Monday, March 12, 2007

The Cycle

The funniest thing happened the other day. I can't tell you about it though. I don't know what it is, but I'm not making it up. Something funny happened the other day somewhere, and if you had been there you would have been rolling. No kidding, it really happened.

Somebody somewhere is sad beyond belief right now. I don't know who and I don't know where, but I'm not making it up. It's really happening.

It's raining now too. Somewhere. Isn't that great? Somewhere there's snow, somewhere the sun shines, somewhere the wind blows, somewhere it's dark. No kidding, I'm not making this up.

Somewhere, right now, someone has passed away, someone is dying, someone has just been born. Someone mourns, someone rejoices. Some are eating, some are playing, some are working, some are sleeping. There is war, there is peace, there is love and there is hate. Somewhere. Right now. No, I'm not making this up. It's really happening.

We are so linear in our thinking. Mom died last August, therefore I am sad (but doing better). I am getting married at the end of March, and there will be love and happiness. My niece will have her first child in the summer, therefore we will rejoice. Every event marks the passage of time. We refer to it as the "cycle of life" and we think it linear. There is a beginning, a middle, and an end for each of us. The big picture is this; the cycle is happening right now, every facet of the cycle, in all stages, all over the world. Rain and shine, hot and cold, birth and death, light and dark. All set in motion by the one that has no beginning and no end.

It's beyond comprehension for me, eternal life. No more death and no decay. No more sadness and no more sorrow. No more cycle. Everything that happens now is just a preamble to get us ready for when real life begins. We sing about heaven a lot, streets of gold, never grow old. One of my favorites:

In the land of fadeless day lies the city four-square;
It shall never pass away, and there is no night there.
All the gates of pearl are made in the city four-square;
All the streets with gold are laid, and there is no night there.
And the gates shall never close to the city four-square;
There life's crystal river flows, and there is no night there.
There they need no sunshine bright, in the city four-square;
For the Lamb is all the light, and there is no night there.
Chorus:
God shall wipe away all tears;
There's no death, no pain, nor fears;
And they count not time by years,
For there is no night there.


The grand irony is that I can't sing this song without crying. A lot. In fact, I can't think of this song without getting teary. No, I don't understand Heaven, and I can't comprehend life without the cycle. But the thought that God Himself will wipe away my tears is one that I can really get my arms around. I think about that one all the time.

No more tears......

Can't wait.

No comments:

Verse of the Day